Sunday, January 15, 2017

Guess who's back?

Well, it has been a while since I posted. Turns out being a partner in a startup is hard work. In fact, as interesting and exhilarating as it is, it is equally time-consuming and exhausting. I have decided to ratchet back my involvement a bit in the startup and decided to fill some of my extra time with writing. And so here I am posting again.

For a long time, I have talked about writing a book. My mother-in-law thinks I am a gifted writer based on my Christmas card letters. Yes, really. I almost bought into that thought, since she was so insistent, and once entered a CBC short story writing contest. I thought my story was awesome and submitted it with pride. I lost. From what I can tell, I lost badly. In the general tips on writing short stories that one of the judges posted after the contest, I had followed 100% of "never do this" tips. Turns out I am not a gifted writer. So there will not be a book. But I still have things to say. And this is where I can do it using my own not-award-winning style.

The impetus for posting today, of all days, was that yesterday I read about startups that allow you to record messages and send them to people after you die. I loved the movie P.S. I Love You (so much that I went to the Irish countryside to see where they met).  But honestly, for me, probably since I am in good health, the concept of recording messages for after my death does not sit well. I think it would be best if I passed on my wisdom and messages while I was alive and kicking. So I am doing just that, starting today.

The next set of posts will be "pearls of wisdom" for life and for work.  These pearls, I believe, should be passed on. They have served me well. So kids ... get ready to start reading and learning ...

No comments:

Post a Comment