Thursday, February 16, 2017

Common sense?

Common sense is defined in Merriam-Webster as "the ability to think and behave in a reasonable way and to make good decisions".  Despite its name, common sense is not that common. And it is best to remember that.

I was going to draw on the current White House administration for examples of how uncommon it is, but that is so depressing. I will leave SNL to deal with them.

Instead, let me share a sign that I saw at the Santa Clara Marriott Pool last November.



I have stayed at many Marriott hotels and many California hotels and have never seen a similar sign. So, I am certain that the posting of this sign was born of necessity (a collective "Ewwww" heard). They appear to have learned the hard way that common sense is not that common.

If you want something done in a particular way or you are counting on a specific outcome from your team, do not leave it up to their "common sense". You must state your expectations clearly. Let people know what you want. It may seem like overkill but you will be much happier with the results. Don't learn the hard way!

p.s. I did go in the pool and the water was beautiful and clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment